Friday, March 16, 2012

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Well I had every intention of fishing for the better part fo the day today, but had to cut it short because I got word that my best friends mother died. Still, I managed to get in about an hour and 1/2 of river time. With the warm spell, much of clear creek is ice free and I decided that it would be a good place to concentrate my fishing efforts and use some of the new flies I tied up. Last night when I got home from work I decided to tie up some simple, yet creative flies. A few size 18 "Hot Wire Hare's Ear" (just make the body using a colored wire of choice), and a few size 20 creation of mine that I refer to as "The Luck O' the Irish" which is basically a very simply midge pattern with a tail. It has olive dubbing, a white thread body, and an orange tail which you can use a variety of materials for. Get what I did there? green (olive), white, and orange are the colors of Ireland's flag.

Shortly after getting started with a red hot wire hare's ear as my point and a luck o' the irish as my dropper, I hooked into a nice brown on the hare's ear.


This guy was in a slow deep pool, but was on the other side of the stream which made for a very difficult drift. I continued upstream and came to a very sunny section of the river with a nice seam right in the middle of the river. I waded out and first cast in I hooked up with a smaller brown on the luck o' the irish.



I guess trout can be festive too huh? Now if only they could drink green beer...... Must have thought that fly would taste like Corned Beef and Cabbage! lol! So this was about the time I had to leave but I saw one other pool that I wanted to try before I did. It looked fishy to me, what do you think?



I tried it for about 5 minutes with no luck, but I wanted to fish closer to the current on the far side, so I walked over there and let me tell you, I did NOT fish it. I did however see something that I have never seen before. 2 fish, of about equal size, were literally fighting eachother. They were completely oblivious to my presence, and even swam into my leg a couple of times. I tried to get a picture as best I could.



I am sorry for the poor zoom quality, but you can still see it. Right above the large submerged rock in the center of the picture, next to the foam, you can see what looks like a sideways "v". Those are the two fish going at it, they swam up and down that entire little pool and kept biting eachother, completly ignoring my prescene. I didnt stick around long enough to see who won and who became dinner, but it was a completely random and kinda crazy sight to witness.

Thats all for now, until next time god bless and tight lines!

KVeMAN

P.S. (like this is a letter lol!) please spread the word about my blog, I plan to update it very regularly.

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.I thought I would leave my first comment. Great post, concise and easy to understand. I like this post.

    https://twitter.com/coloradoflyshop/

    ReplyDelete