Monday, March 12, 2012

And Away We Go!!

Well with the nice weather, not even the wrath of God himself could keep me from the water this weekend. Friday night I made plans to go, called a friend from Colorado Springs and we met at Deckers to see if we could get into some fish. In the end, it was the good times, scenery, the 5 zillion deer I saw (14 to be exact), and the relaxation that made the trip worth while. Mr friend had to leave around lunchtime so I spent much of the day by myself, which I don't mind at all.

The picture above is downsteam of Deckers, I hiked down the steep hill in search of the illusive myth in these water called "trout." Spent the better part of two hours down there and didn't even see ONE, there were a lot of prime lies, and a lot of slower pools, but all I saw down there was a cluster of sucker fish. Still, blind fishing to where I thought a trout COULD be beats most anything else I can imagine doing. Around 1:30 or so with the crowds approaching from all directions (which is why I was downstream of Deckers to begin with), I decided to head evn FURTHER downstream to the area I like to refer to as "the unknown." It still sees its fair amount of pressure, but not nearly to the degree as upstream.

I found me a lice little run and almost immediately, at the end of a drift I hooked into a fish, I saw him flash a couple of times, and then he threw the hook and was lost :-(. I continued fishing and by this time switched to a double rig with a Hare's Ear as my point fly, and a Poison Tung as my dropper. I found a very slow deep pool and what to ya know? I landed a nice little Rainbow on the Poison Tung.

I snapped this quick shot and then released him (as I always do with all the fish I catch). I then stepped a little further into the river to fish the far side of the pool and began seeing signs of very subtle takes, I would get too anxious and set too fast I think. So I let my flies sit in the water after a sublte strike indication and then there was a very obvious hit, I set my hook and was into a NICE rainbow, expecially for the area of the river I was on. It put up quite a fight and then just as I thought I was going to win the battle, I felt my line go limp. It was gone, I know it took my Hare's Ear, because I had no rig left, it broke me off!!! grrr.... by that time it was time for me to go (had to be back by 330), but all in all I had a blast!

The next day was a very nice one as well, I decided to take my dogs out, and my girlfriend and I set off to the Bear Creek.

I brougt my fishing gear and was lucky enough to be able to fish for 45-50 minutes. No fish were to be had, but I know I missed at least 1.

I scoped out a section that I had never fished before and as you can see there was stil la lot of ice on this small creek. But being out with my girlfriend and my dogs, I couldnt have asked for a better time.

I know they had a great time too. Next time I promise there will be more fish pictures for you to see!

Until then, god bless, and tight lines!


No comments:

Post a Comment